Thursday, February 10, 2005

First Blog Since ???

While chatting with Keef, I suddenly remembered that I haven't blogged for like 1 and a half weeks. With guilt weighing me down, I tried to give myself excuses. They sounded quite reasonable fortunately...

Went to Malaysia for "CNY Celebration" with my relatives. It was more like "CNY Castration". Whoa.. A bit exaggerated. The four hour ride to Kota Tinggi was almost living hell. Who wants to watch Constantine on Friday? Ok. Out of point. Back to the livcar ride. Since the nearest airport was at KL, duh we had to drive. My father drove as usual and my mother, my sister and I just stoned, slept and talked. Mostly sleeping. As most of us might know, Malaysia is an extremely temperature friendly country, giving shockingly high points (degrees Celsius). With an extremely comforting array of concrete, brick and stone (and various other materials) buildings, the temperature is amplified (is it approiate to use this term?) to the maximum temperature potential. So I will stop being sacarstic here. It was damn frickin hot there. Almost shit boiling. Like Nanyang Primary School (new building) as I realised a few years ago and remembered yesterday. For a more detailed explanation or elaboration, please proceed to the next paragraph.

Nanyang Primary School. One of the most sought after primary school. I graduated from this school. Old building. They started using the new campus immediately after my batch of students left. Many of us felt deprived. We contributed quite a lot for that building but we didn't get to use it. But I moved on to The Chinese High School with little reluctance. I always wanted to be in TCHS since I knew my father was working there, which was probably the day I knew anything. TCHS is always decribed as a heaven of the secondary schools, with the largest secondary school campus and all. Back to the NYPS thing. During CNY when I was sec 1, I returned to NYPS, once more proving many of my teachers wrong. Many (or most) of them probably thought I would never make it to TCHS. There is one specific teacher, which I will not name here, who even released his/her (not even the gender should be revealed) thoughts to the world around her. I knew, and I remembered. And I shall continue to. Time passed like a speeding pellet. PSLE had arrived. That was the time I should go against all odds, and bust that "confirmed" prediction.

A little background before I go on to the PSLE stage. I achieved a remarkable (bleh) 220 for my prelims. Results reflect the time spent studying. 220 was not at all desirable. The month before PSLE, my father aided me. I studied like bloody hell, not even looking at the computer. I knew I had to concentrate to get pass this barrier. I did not even think about playing. That month, it was pure studying. I revised everything, even my maths and science, which I always aced easily (not now). PSLE came, and went. As usual, time passed quickly. Results were going to be released. I had no confidence on myself. I dreaded that day more than any day ever. But I had to face the reality. It had to come.

I was mentally prepared for the worst. I sat in class, with my head facing the hard, tiled floor. My ex-form teacher told us that there was a tie between two students for the top position (in class). First was Valerie (now in MGS). Since girls' results were announced first, Valerie's results were quickly publicised. I looked up and saw my ex-form teacher give me a smile. I was like, "Huh? Like that also can smile?". I can bet at that moment everyone who hadn't gotten their results hoped they were the one who tied. My turn came, the teacher started off the sentence with these words (in Chinese) "The second person who tied". So anyway I was shocked. Only could say "Walao!" over and over again. I glanced at the laminated result sheet. English: A; Chinese: A*; Mathematics: A*; Science: A*. Aggregate: 266. At least I confirmed a place in TCHS. At that time I was too happy to remember the specific teacher and her prophecy.

So back to the NYPS thing. Quite an extreme sidetrack there.. When I returned as an ex-student, I realised immediately that NYPS was not at all a place that I desired to study in. The trees were not much taller than 2m and the entire place was built of concrete, having only occasional patches of grass. The hard stone floor and walls radiated heat and reflected the glaring sun light. Even the space between the small track was hard stone, as it was replaced, instead of grass, with a basketball court. Can you imagine how bloody hot it was? TCHS is a total paradise compared that that concrete jungle. How the hell did they live there???

Back to my first point. Malaysia. It was sometime like that. Hardly any greenery. So it was frickin hot. I reached my uncle's house and stoned quite a bit there. Then we went to check in to the hotel. Stoned a bit more. Went back to uncle's house, stone a lot more, went back to hotel. Watched fireworks. Slept...

To be continued...

No comments: