Monday, March 07, 2005

Choices!

I'm going to build a new pc, that's what I think anyway. But after doing some homework and research before selecting parts, I have bumped into two great dilemmas. Let's list the required parts first:

1)ATX/Extended ATX case
2)PSU (power supply unit)
3)Motherboard
4)CPU (central processing unit)
5)RAM (random access memory)
6)Graphics Card
7)Hard Disks
8)DVD-RAM/DVD-RW burner combo*
9)CD-R/CD-RW burner combo*
10)Floppy disk drive**
11)Cooling Setup**

Others:
12)Monitor
13)Keyboard
14)Mouse**
15)Speakers**

Notes:
*Means combined usuage.
** Means optional or already have.

That's about all I can remember currently. So now, the dilemmas are about the CPU and graphics card. Let's start with the CPU because it's damn important. As many of us might know, there are 2 leading companies manufactoring CPUS. These two are AMD (Advanced Micro Devices (I think)) and Intel. Obviously, Intel was the manufactorer of choice until quite recently (1 year?) when AMD came out with their 64 bit processors. These two compete very well in the processor market and here comes the dilemma. Though many laymen (or n00bs or newbs) might decide solely on the clock speeds, it isn't the case now.

AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 is said and reviewed to be the best processor available currently, trashing Intel's processors such as Pentium 4 Extreme Edition. Although I haven't had the cold hard cash to test the difference, I believe this IS the case. Intel hasn't really been releasing REAL new processors recently, except for releasing differently architectured CPUs. An example is the Prescott, which actually doesn't really make a difference in performance, except more heat, and higher prices. I used to support Intel, but now, I can't help but say I might be changing my mind.

I have searched widely and read extensively on different viewpoints of both Intel and AMD. If I went with AMD, I would choose the AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 processor, and if I went with Intel, I would opt to have dual Intel Xeons or Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition. In terms of durability, Intel has the upper hand. AMD processors release quite a lot of heat. In terms of price, AMD wins. So, we come back to the main question. WHICH ONE DO I CHOOSE???

Ok. Now the graphics card problem. I support ATI obviously. I bought the X800 Pro for my desktop and it worked wonderfully. At that time, Nvidia's cards were definitely too large, and simultenously, they lost in terms of performance. Now, ATI has spit out the new 512MB ATI Radeon X850 XT Platinum Edition. It's about 300 dollars more expensive than the X800, but not worthwhile if we consider the minimal performance increase. And Nvidia unleashed it's new SLI "technology". SLI stands for "Scalable Link Interface" which allows the user (must have SLI chipset motherboard) to link 2 of their graphics cards together. The graphics cards hence combine the two GPUs' powers and use it to render as 1. Hence, there should be a theoretical increase of 100%. This is damn costly, requiring like 2 of their best graphics cards.

I cannot afford to have SLI. I don't want to waste money buying the X850 XT PE. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

After considering all the above mentioned factors, I have concluded that I should wait for a while more, allowing these companies to release better products before I start buying parts (unless there's a super large sack of cash that suddenly drops into my room).

No comments: